I started wearing makeup at 17. It was 1996 and, well, let’s just say that in my sheer delight at this newfound form of expression, I was a bit heavy handed with it. There was a lot of base, a lot of heavy eyeliner and a pretty scary brown lipstick that was matte and chalky and tasted terrible but I was convinced it was the trendiest thing I could wear. Fast forward many years and I’ve finally perfected my daily beauty routine. It is simple and quick and it’s become a part of my mornings except on weekends when I prefer to wear just sunscreen and lip balm. I’m not one for a lot of experimentation once I’ve found my basics so while I might play around with lip colour or eyeliner, the rest of my routine stays the same. I love these products and I highly recommend them for their quality, longevity and ease of use. And, of course, they make me look pretty! Give them a try and let me know what you think.
1. Murad Essential C-Cleanser and the Clarisonic Mia2. These two are magic together. The cleanser leaves my skin feeling refreshed and the Clarisonic is miraculous. My skin is so perfectly smooth once I’m done and it’s a quick start to the day.
2. Bioré Sarasara Uv Aqua Rich Waterly Essence Sunscreen 50g SPF50. I can’t even with this sunscreen. It is THE BEST SUNSCREEN I have ever, ever tried. It isn’t sticky, it isn’t smelly, it isn’t creamy. It is watery and goes on smooth and dries almost instantly. It is weightless, and it’s SPF 50, y’all. This is power protection for your face. I took a chance and bought if off Amazon based solely on the reviews and I will never use another product again. It is a bit pricey though for what you get and only available through Amazon, but I’ll take those minor inconveniences. It’s that good.
3.Next up is my base, my go-to for the past 18 years: Mac Studio Fix Powder plus Foundation. My shade is C35. It goes on smoothly and blends in well. The coverage is excellent, and it’s easy to use- liquid foundations are too much work for me in the mornings. Actually, they’re too much work for me anytime. I’ve never gotten the hang of them, but then, with this powder I don’t need to either. Win!
4. As far as actual makeup is concerned, I start off with the L’oreal Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner in Grey. It’s not as formal as black but its a nice smoky charcoal that still gives me the polished look I’m after. I like the chunky tip that makes it foolproof and it gives me a smooth, creamy line that doesn’t smear.
5. L’oreal’s Voluminous Classic was a mascara I used for over a decade until I decided to try the Voluminous Power 24H version. I was hooked. It does lack the curved brush, which is one of the things I love about the Classic version. Having that would make this a 10/10 product for me but I’ve gotten used to the straight brush by now. The best part, though, is this version doesn’t smudge or clump like the Classic version does. It still offers the same thickness and length, however, which is great.
6. Nars Orgasm Blush. Is there anyone who hasn’t heard of this blush? Because if you haven’t tried it, you really need to. At $30, I do think it’s a splurge but it lasts forever and you only need a little bit on your cheeks to get that pretty flushed glow.
7. The next step is to apply Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté Shine lipstick in #10. It is smooth and creamy and smells fantastic, and this is a beautiful nude that works perfectly for a daily, no fuss-no muss look.
8. Finally, I add the finishing touch- a spritz of my all-time favourite scent, Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb.
All in, I spend 15 minutes doing my makeup plus whatever time it takes to fix my hair which is usually in a low ponytail or a simple brush through of my asymmetrical bob, and voila! I’m all set for my day!
Find these and more tips on my Beauty, Hair & Makeupboard on Pinterest.