For Labor Day long weekend this year, we decided to take a short trip and head to a lovely resort in San Diego. The city has a lovely marina off Shelter Island and our hotel happened to be right on one end of it. This meant the kids had a cute little private beach to play on, there was lots of waterside dining, and best of all, several hours of watching boats docking and sailing away.
Staying in a hotel after so long made me realize there are a few key differences between hotel style and home style, and I think it’s time home style caught up! Here are my top 6 ways to add luxurious hotel style to your bedroom.
1. Invest in luxurious bedding and make your bed every morning. Ever wonder why you sleep so well at a hotel? It’s not just the mattress, although I hope you’ve sorted that out for your own space because it is so important. It’s also the bedding itself. Smooth, luxurious sheets, fluffy pillows, and the perfect down comforter- not too hot, not too cold. Plus, you can’t deny how pleasurable it is to climb into a well made bed each night. Since I work from home, making my bed every morning also signals the start of the day for me; otherwise it’s way too easy to lounge around in pajamas all day long and put off all the things that need doing. This was an amazing habit that a very good friend of mine shared with me shortly after I had the Boy and was lamenting the lack of structure in my life on maternity leave. I can’t say I’ve regretted adopting it one bit!
2. Have multiple sources of light. Hotel rooms usually have at least three different sources of lighting: bedside lamps on each side plus a desk lamp and pot lights, usually, and everything is on a dimmer switch. For your bedroom, do the same! Perhaps a beautiful chandelier overhead, bedside table lamps for late night reading – and if you’re the Mr. and I, catching up on the day once the kids are asleep. Dimmers and personalized lighting mean you can read without disturbing your partner and also create a serene, calm space to unwind each night. Plus, with the multitude of stylish options available now for every budget, it’s also a great way to add some style to your space!
3. Hang black out curtains & layer your drapes. Another key to sleeping deeply and well, although it might make waking up that much harder, are black out curtains. A few years ago, black out’s were usually black, navy or brown, heavy fabrics with a slightly tacky sheen to them. Lately, however, I’ve found white and ivory linen-look drapes with heavy black out lining so I don’t have to sacrifice the visuals inside our room just to block out the light in the mornings. I also really like how hotels tend to layer sheers under blackouts so you can control the level of light and privacy. This is especially great if you live in an apartment and don’t want to draw your curtains all the time to keep out prying eyes. Of course, if you can sew, this is a great DIY project and then you’re not limited to fabric choices at all.
4. Accessorize! Adding layers to your bedroom decor adds depth to your space. Pillows, throws, rugs, artwork, marble and brass accents- these are just a few ways you can add personality and charm to your bedroom. Choose a few pieces, but choose well. Add art that calms you and inspires you, add functional pieces like a marble tray to hold your rings and your phone. Bring in some flowers to add freshness and colour.
5. Install a magnified mirror in the bathroom and proper bathroom lighting. These two go together like toast and butter. I’ve always struggled with finding the perfect spot to apply makeup- ideally, I would love to have a direct source of sunlight but that rarely happens in a bathroom. Until now, I’ve been standing really close to the light source and the mirror and doing what I can. But guys, having a wall-mounted magnifying mirror in the bathroom made applying makeup such a breeze! Whether it’s the perfect cat eye, tweezing those annoying little tiny hairs, or creating a crisp lip liner outline- everything was so much easier! I don’t know why I never considered one before! Our next bathroom will definitely be seeing some upgrades.
6. Last, but certainly not least, and this goes hand in hand with those crisp sheets on your bed, indulge in fluffy towels and fancy soaps! These two are another thing I’ve realized I shouldn’t skimp on. It’s so adult, isn’t it, but I say why not? Good quality towels will last you for years and who doesn’t like smelling wonderful?
These are the little luxuries worth investing in to make your bedroom and bathroom function better and to provide the same comfort and luxury that you find in a hotel. Plus, they’re upgrades that will last you through the years and it’s still cheaper than hiring a maid! 😉
So there you have it- 6 ways to add luxurious hotel style to your own bedroom! Do you have any tips? Please share them with me below!
SHOP THIS POST:
Until next time,